From the July 2017 issue of Montana Grain News (1)
- The last five years, Montana has exported 73% of our wheat crop. The main destinations during those five years are Japan, the Philippines, Taiwan, Korea, and Guatemala/El Salvador.
- The top importer of U.S. wheat overall is Mexico.
- Mexico is also the top importer of Montana barley.
- The Pacific Rim is the top destination for Montana wheat.
From a number of news articles earlier this year:
- This last year had the lowest amount of winter wheat planted in the United States in almost a century.
- The number of farms in the U.S. (over two million) is the lowest it’s been in a century.
(1) Montana Grain News, “The official publication of the Montana Grain Growers Association”, Issue No. 173, http://www.mgga.org