Very moist, very flavorful, not too sweet.
Yogurt cornbread (version 2)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- (optional) 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain full-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 Tablespoons shortening/oil/grease
- (optional) 1-2 Tablespoons honey
Heat oven to 425 F. Put 1-2 Tablespoons shortening in 8- or 9-inch cast iron skillet and place in oven.
Mix dry ingredients in medium-sized bowl.
Add yogurt, buttermilk and eggs to bowl, mix thoroughly. Dough will be a little stiff at this point.
Melt remaining 2 Tablespoons shortening. Add to dough. Add honey if you are using it. Mix thoroughly. Pour into heated skillet, place back in oven. Cook about 15-20 minutes, or until golden-brown and a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.