I first tried this recipe almost three years ago. Since then I’ve modified it a little bit, found a lot of people who like it (and also realized that it’s pimiento, not “pimento”).
So here’s the updated recipe.
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese (approximately 2 cups, but it’s much better to measure this by weight; if you have the time, get solid cheddar and shred it yourself, pre-shredded won’t be as tasty in this recipe)
- 2 cups finely sliced green onions, white and green parts
- 1 cup (or more) mayonnaise
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, or more depending on your taste
- 1/8 tsp Tobasco sauce, or more depending on your taste
- 1/2 cup or 8 oz canned sliced pimiento peppers
Put the pimiento peppers in a strainer to drain them.
Mix first five ingredients in order given.
Check to see if pimiento peppers are through draining. If so, add to mixture and thoroughly.
Add more mayonnaise if desired, add more cayenne pepper or Tobasco if desired.
This should be refrigerated after mixing. I have no idea how long it lasts in the refrigerator, the longest I’ve seen it last is about 4 days before it’s all eaten.