- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 2-4 tsp dill mix
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 1 Tbl lemon juice
- 1 Tbl Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of cayenne or 2 shots of Tobasco
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil. Salt and add macaroni. Cook until nearly tender, approx. 5 minutes. Draing and rinse with cold water until cool. Drain briefly. VERY IMPORTANT!!! Macaroni must be a little wet or salad will dry out.
- Transfer macaroni to a large bowl. Stir in onion, celery, parsley (or dill), lemon juice, mustard, garlic powder, and cayenne. Let sit about 2 minutes until flavors are absorbed. Stir in mayo and let sit until no longer watery, 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
- Salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Stir in a little warm water to loosen texture and check seasoning before serving
- Use about half again as much onion and celery as called for.
- Increase all seasoning proportions. Use more parsley, add in a bunch of dried dill too, add quite a bit more cayenne, and a LOT more garlic.
- Use about 2/3 as much mayo as called for.
- Use a bit of Dijon mustard, and a LOT of Beaver Brand Sweet-Hot Mustard!!!
Makes for a much more dill-y and garlic-y salad, has a lot of fresh green flavor to it because of the parsley and celery.